PDA

View Full Version : Key fob starting to give me issues

BimmerWill
06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
I've replaced the battery in my key fob a couple months ago and its been doing great but here lately its seems the car is forgetting my key fob. I've reprogrammed it to the car a couple times and that seems to help for a little bit but once its sat for a while I really struggle to get it unlocked again. Does this sound like I need another battery or the famous gm5 giving me issues?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ryankokesh
06-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Gm5.
Just bought a used one on eBay for about $70 for the xi. Putting it in tomorrow... I'll let ya know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M0nk3y
06-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Check center locking console and see if you have issues locking and unlocking.

That should be able to determine if it is GM5 or not

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

BavarianZHP
06-21-2013, 10:38 PM
It also could be the fob's antenna reception, which is located in the rear (defrost heat grid) passenger side. If it's not the fob battery (you can try different keys to ensure it's not the case) and not the GMV, it may be this. Hoping you the best.

ryankokesh
06-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Replaced the gm5 and got nothing. So gm5 works, key is 2 months old... Could the antenna have come undone? So confused.

midlandtech
06-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Check center locking console and see if you have issues locking and unlocking.

That should be able to determine if it is GM5 or not

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

This.
Also if you replaced the batt with a non rechargeable one the key life will be very deminished

ryankokesh
06-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Central locking works, it was a little intermittent before... Key is actually a new one purchased from the dealer. (Old key doesn't work either)

BavarianZHP
06-22-2013, 03:25 PM
How intermittent is the problem? If reception is the issue, try unlocking/locking with the fob near the rear window to see if it makes a difference.

ryankokesh
06-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Locking doesn't work at all anymore... Was intermittent though.

BimmerWill
06-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Have you tried resyncing the key to the car? Prob necessary since you switched gm5 units.

With all doors shut 1st position and 0 five times quickly then hold down unlock and press lock on key fob 3 times then release. Locks should cycle if done correctly.

ryankokesh
06-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Yeah, tried that many times unfortunately :(

I'm completely at a loss.

BimmerWill
06-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Yeah, tried that many times unfortunately :(

I'm completely at a loss.

Was there a year difference between the donor car for the new gm5 and yours?

What was the reason you got a new fob?
Did the new one work when you got it from the dealer? Possibly they didn't program it correctly?

ryankokesh
06-23-2013, 06:50 AM
Was there a year difference between the donor car for the new gm5 and yours?

What was the reason you got a new fob?
Did the new one work when you got it from the dealer? Possibly they didn't program it correctly?

There was a difference between cars, but I copied the settings from the old module and applied them to the newer one. Donor car only had 30 some thousand miles, so I can only assume it was working (place I got it from also assured me it was).

Got a new fob to have two keys. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't program it correctly, but the old key should work, I'd imagine.

I think I've concluded, as it's the only piece left, that it must be the antenna amplifier (FZV module). I'm gonna check and make sure a wire didn't come undone or something (highly doubt that's the case), but I'll prolly have to send it in to have it repaired or buy another one on eBay... Fun fun fun.

Sorry for completely jacking you're thread... :ducking

BimmerWill
06-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Oh no worries its all good. Mine actually started behaving yesterday so I'm leaving sleeping dogs lay for now.

So you have an old key that still worked before you bought the new one?

ryankokesh
06-27-2013, 04:59 AM
Yeah, it worked more often than not for a while, and then degraded to less often than not.

I'm even more confused now, though. I took the zkv out of the xi to send to Scott at bmwgm5. I was positive it was kaput, since it was the only thing in the system not replaced yet. I figured to be safe though I'd pop it in the zhp and make sure it didn't work. Of course it worked perfectly.

So I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong. Heck, I don't even know what else I could replace. New key, new(ish) gm5, and working zkv. What else is there to break?

BimmerWill
06-27-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm taking my key back apart again tonight. Seems like its not making a strong connection to the battery or something. I bought the rechargeable one and soldered the negative terminal to the board so the only lead that could possibly not be making good contact is the positive lead.

Now to find my silicone, superglue, and voltage meter lol.

BimmerWill
06-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Update:
Took the key back apart and as some of you may have experienced with superglue in the past when it dries it emits a white residue. Well this covered the board of the key fob and battery reducing its ability to make a strong contact. So I scraped the leads and battery off and placed a small piece of nitrile glove between the casing and the battery to ensure it continued to make good contact and glued it back together. Works like a charm again lol. Very glad it was such a simple fix.