PDA

View Full Version : Must read before performing maintenance on your car!!!!

danewilson77
06-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Christian Richard Klorczyk

This is a story about the life, and sad death of Christian Richard Klorczyk, who died far too young. RIP Christian and prayers to your Family and friends. Let this forever be a reminder to all of us who DIY.

Christian Richard Klorczyk (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1931-Please-take-a-moment-to-read-this-(regarding-Christian-Richard-Klorczyk)&highlight=CHRISTIAN)

Christian Richard Klorczyk Slideshow (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2187-Slideshow-on-Christian-Richard-Klorczyk-RIP&highlight=christian)

Safe Jack points. Please review the following thread prior to performing maintenance under your car. Assess the risk, and if you don't feel safe, take it into the shop.

Safe Jack Points (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3561-Jack-points&highlight=jack+points)

Near Miss - Good Data

Jack Stands (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?9277-I-hate-jack-stands...&highlight=jack+stands)

Others feel free to chime into this thread and add safety tips that aren't stated in the other four threads above.

Be safe Fella's

danewilson77
07-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Bump

The friendliest forum on the planet.

danewilson77
10-02-2014, 04:51 AM
Bump

No flame suit required!

cakM3
10-02-2014, 05:34 AM
Good point Dane! We all should take the time to be aware of hazards when doing maintenance on our cars. Key point is to be safe! :thumbsup

mbeckel
10-02-2014, 05:37 AM
Good point Dane! We all should take the time to be aware of hazards when doing maintenance on our cars. Key point is to be safe! :thumbsup
Much agreed, I think that's the reason my back is injured. I got in a hurry when working on the ccv replacement. Looking back, I should have taken the time to jack the front up before performing the task.

PS the injury has gotten worse, pain is gone in my back, but moved to my left leg, which hints that it's damaging the nerve. :facepalm

NorCalZman
10-02-2014, 06:46 AM
yup yup. Next time I need to get under the car I will be ordering these 2 piece ramps. I really dislike using jacks/jack stands if I can avoid it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZAGI9E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Much agreed, I think that's the reason my back is injured. I got in a hurry when working on the ccv replacement. Looking back, I should have taken the time to jack the front up before performing the task.

PS the injury has gotten worse, pain is gone in my back, but moved to my left leg, which hints that it's damaging the nerve. :facepalm

not necessarily. two fingers in my left hand went numb for no reason. It took 4+(!) months but they're back to normal. My co worker had severe pain in his leg that the doctors contributed to a nerve in his back. He went to physical therapy and I think it helped a lot if not totally got rid of his pain. I would go to the doctor and ask about getting with a physical therapist.

danewilson77
09-26-2017, 03:30 PM
yup yup. Next time I need to get under the car I will be ordering these 2 piece ramps. I really dislike using jacks/jack stands if I can avoid it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZAGI9E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

not necessarily. two fingers in my left hand went numb for no reason. It took 4+(!) months but they're back to normal. My co worker had severe pain in his leg that the doctors contributed to a nerve in his back. He went to physical therapy and I think it helped a lot if not totally got rid of his pain. I would go to the doctor and ask about getting with a physical therapist.I have ramps. Very little help imo. Most of the maintenance it seems like I do is suspension, wheel, brake related. Ramps no good for that.

Under engine stuff, oil/tranny/diff fluid changes or exhaust tweaks.... Sure.

Sent from my S8+

danewilson77
10-26-2017, 09:50 AM
Bump

Sent from my S8+

Sailor
11-17-2017, 07:00 PM
25 or more years ago I was working on the starter of an RX7 that was resting on two jackstands in the front. The car was in gear but the handbrake was off. I hot wired the starter and somehow the solenoid kicked in, would not cut off, and caused the starter to engage the flywheel. Bad combination with me under the car. The rear wheels, being on the floor, drove the car forward and the jack stands 'walked' forward with the car. It took me about half a second to get out from under it, but that was a LONG half second. It only stopped when it contacted the back wall of the shop. Luckily no damage.

fredo
11-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Oh,man !

ELCID86
11-18-2017, 05:57 PM
... Luckily no death.

Fixed

Oltorf
11-18-2017, 07:28 PM
25 or more years ago I was working on the starter of an RX7 that was resting on two jackstands in the front. The car was in gear but the handbrake was off. I hot wired the starter and somehow the solenoid kicked in, would not cut off, and caused the starter to engage the flywheel. Bad combination with me under the car. The rear wheels, being on the floor, drove the car forward and the jack stands 'walked' forward with the car. It took me about half a second to get out from under it, but that was a LONG half second. It only stopped when it contacted the back wall of the shop. Luckily no damage.

holy crud, i guess that's why they say to disconnect the battery, right?

johnrando
11-18-2017, 09:29 PM
Glad ur ok

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sailor
12-07-2017, 06:44 PM

It helps to keep in mind that any time you are under a car that has been lifted with a 'Harbor Freight Type' floor jack you are trusting your life to a ten-cent Chinese O-ring in the hydraulic circuit. This alone should keep you from being there in the first place. Take time to learn where and how to place your jack stands without going under the car and don't be afraid of redundancy. NEVER allow expedience to cause you to take a short cut with safety.

danewilson77
12-07-2017, 07:58 PM
It helps to keep in mind that any time you are under a car that has been lifted with a 'Harbor Freight Type' floor jack you are trusting your life to a ten-cent Chinese O-ring in the hydraulic circuit. This alone should keep you from being there in the first place. Take time to learn where and how to place your jack stands without going under the car and don't be afraid of redundancy. NEVER allow expedience to cause you to take a short cut with safety.+1

Nice bump.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk