PDA

View Full Version : Getting a whirring...

Rovert
06-18-2013, 11:05 AM
...and I've recently changed out the accessory, idler, and water pump pulley along with the A/C belt and main belt. I know everything is quiet in that arena but I'm still getting a whir from the front when I am on throttle. If the clutch is not engaged there is no whir...it seems like it does it on load. Letting go of the throttle it disappears. Is this a transmission thing? I'm looking back on my records and I changed my transmission fluid at 122K, I'm at 165K now. The car runs perfectly normal and there doesn't seem to be any loss in power/resistance because I get the same MPG as always. Someone said a vacuum leak could cause this but that doesn't seem it because it should happen at idle too since air is sucked in before going into the engine...load wouldn't matter.

Can anyone help me diagnose? Thanks a lot!!!

saace7
06-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Not exactly sure of your issue but don't rule out a vacuum or air leak just because your idling fine. I am currently going through a air leak myself and my car idles perfect. My particular situation though I am losing low end torque while accelerating due to my car being lean. (unknown air source through intake). I actually found the source and it is a tare in the intake boot. I also am having trouble understanding the description of the noise your trying to describe.

Get your hands on a scanner and see if an codes are thrown.

Oli77
06-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Could this be clutch-related?

BimmerWill
06-19-2013, 04:40 AM
Could possibly be alternator. They tend to whir sometimes when under load or if the bearings are on their way out.

If you have some rubber hose put one end to your ear then the other end around various places on the front while you have another person rev the car til you hear the noise and see if you can get a more clear idea of where the noise is coming from. A better description of what the whir sounds like would be helpful as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

danewilson77
06-19-2013, 04:42 AM
I was gonna throw out alt/starter.

HTC DNA ON TT4 BETA, WILLIAMSBURG, VA

Rovert
06-19-2013, 10:00 AM
I have a recently new Bosch starter installed. If the alternator were to make a whirring sound which is connected to the belt, which is spinning at the relative rate of the engine, wouldn't the alternator whir no matter what kind of load is put on the engine since ball bearings are round? The alternator is completely separate from a load if the clutch is engaged to my common sense. This only happens when throttle is applied, it disappears when throttle is lifted off. There is no sign of a whir when the vehicle is in neutral.

BTW a scanner shows nothing. The car operates perfectly besides that noise! LOL